Celebrating ....

CELEBRATING The PJ's 48th YEAR! * www.junto.blogspot.com * Dr Franklin's Diary * Contact @ PhiladelphiaJunto@ymail.com * Join us at Facebook and @philabooksarts *Meeting @ Philadelphia * Empowered by WritersClearinghouse.

Tuesday 25 January 2022

DO YOU?

I LIKE IT

January 20, 2022

By Don Merlot/Ron Alonzo
 
Well, I know what they say about good intentions, and since last summer I have been trying to get myself up to date on wines since COVID invaded my world as it has changed my modus operani and I do not recognize myself anymore. Wait a minute, I realize that I will be 80 years old this next June and not only has time and COVID  changed me, but I too am also changing, transitioning, and have changed in many ways too. I love the old Spanish expression— Todo Cambia, Nada Cambia; so here I am following an old paradigm. It seems as if my prime objective is to survive and keep dreaming in silk and then I ask the question, survive what? Staying healthy means several things to me:  eat correctly, drink wines I like in moderation and correctly, exercise correctly; socialize correctly, seeing the Drs that are monitoring my health; track my Apnea and Parkinson’s and walk with a cane to keep my balance with my replaced hip and avoid situations that will alter my little safe world, not much to ask for a bionic man.
 
My intention today is to dive into the contemporary wine world of Don Merlot as I have been tasting new, contemporary wines and saving comments on index cards with tasting notes to see what my palate tells me and review my life journey in what  I call my Marco Polo jaunt since leaving my birthplace of Mexico City in 1958. I am focusing on what I like and what pleases my palate and not trying to sell anybody anything. It is the old story of seeing the similarities but also appreciating the differences.

Acknowledging my perspectives and respecting the perspectives of others because mine are different than others – mine are mine and not absolutely correct just my perspective.
 
In visiting several local wine shops and or ordering wine at local restaurant for my study of contemporary wines,  I notice several changes to cost controls. There is less selection choices: Customer  have to know something about what their wine preferences are or there may be disappointment and expectations will not be met.
 
Since it was Summer, I focused on summer wines and menus and because of COVID I did not have a lot opportunity to be with many friends,  but I did take a couple of trips out to break away from COVID and we had IDA the hurricane. I had certain wine venues and I had a list of what I wanted, and I was not looking for suggestions as every place I went there was plenty of stock; there was not a lot exchange of information between me and the seller. It is hard to explain, but I felt I had been to the Holy Grail and wanted some specific things and there was no two-way knowledge – here is what you want. Example was when I was looking for Rosé’s from  France for summer drinking, the shelves seem stocked and not as orderly as they had been . I looked at the top “100” list that included   Rosé’s. I found my wine books and looked for the French vineyards that specialized Rosé’s – that took me back to my wine library and updates of Hugh Johnson’s Pocket Wine Book and wine folly – the essential guide to wine (Puckette & Hammack). I know in my travels  I had  luscious Rosés in Southern France,  but I did not document this lesson –  Malheureusement.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               
 I  looked for Rosé,  White, and light red wines  Made the appropriate menus . Top of the list of Viognier an aromatic,  White Rhone grape, - Not found on many restaurants wine lists and in wine stores it has an interesting application as I found it as a dessert wine in some stores, or a specialty wine. I saw that one Chinese restaurant offered it with Peking dishes. It is a wine that is trying to find its place very good. It is originally a Rhone wine and in Rhone Viognier has made it mark on  Condrieu – Viognier is grown in Europe, Australia,  and the USA. When looking for an alternative to a Chardonnay (Fr or CA) I look now for Viognier (Fr, Aus,). Asian and Indian and BBQ chicken and pork. Suit me fine. I mentioned that is liked a dry white like Sauvignon Blanc but  Loire – French are tres Cher – so I found that Argentina has TORRENTES  which is perfect for grilled Shrimp. I still like Chilean Sauvignon Blanc for Ceviches – Peruvian, Central & South American and Caribbean. (Leche de Tigre - the mix to make ceviche stands out best handling the lime/citrus and chili or rocoto (aji) best.
 
 I went to Florida  and visited various reputable wine shops. On one occasion in one wine shop there was inventory check going on but there was a need to take care of me -  an unknown customer. I was trying to find a Viognier wine  (French) and in my search I sensed that I was wasting the time of the store supervisor who sent me with a bright but learning trainee. I must be honest I do not know much about Viognier but know that in the last 24 months I was trying to learn about what wines are selling now. there has been an effort to open sales white wines of this wine. I sensed all the wine understanding paradigms – wines with difficult names do not sell -- , It was suggested that better value viogniers are made in Italy, the wines of the Viognier from Rhone are scarce and much more expensive. My intention while in Florida was introducing some friends to White and Red wines I liked, and I know they had access in trying these new wines. I ran into a similar experience looking for an Austrian wine – Grüner Veltliner from the point of view offerings. In my view these two wines in a restaurant setting could easily replace the traditional Sauvignon Blanc and Chardonnay but one would have to fight off the California (CA) hold of win on the shelves. I introduced these wines to my Florida friends is they did not know them yet. As I said I am not selling – nor am I buying – just learning. I also have learned in the COVID Era that I can move over to Grüner Veltliner -my palate is shifting. This is and Austrian wine and price is good.
 
My New Orleans palate still yearns for a Shrimp remoulade, and occasionally we will go down to the bayou and get pound of medium shrimp and I will get Denise’s Grandmother’s remoulade sauce make it and we will have an elegant sufficiency of this treat. I like to get crab meat, shrimp, hard boiled eggs, and lettuce and make a Crab Louis sauce; with a Spanish Albariño this really is a summer treat. I first ran across this wine in Spain, and it was popular in the Atlantic side of Spain. Originally The Sauvignon Blanc of the Loire – Sancerre – My favorite became popular and then overpriced and New Zealand supply stepped in with its Sauvignon Blanc’s to nudge Sancerre away and Albariño in Galicia became overpriced with the demand and Chile Sauvignon Blanc picked up the slack  and had excellent quality and could met the demand. Shellfish in Europe, South America, New Zealand compete with the Sauvignon Blanc. However, Peruvian style  Ceviche I still like the Chilean Sauvignon Blanc – It has that Je n’ai se qua That I do not find in NZ or CA for Ceviche.
 
 Chinese food and or the Raj – Curry – food has always been a Conundrum for the British world or at least what I have experienced, and I reached the point when traveling with the French, Swiss or knowledgeable Europeans is stick by them and have VINO! Brits always want to chase it down with a lager. The European educated Chinese or Indian educated yield to the French and I just learned what I like in wine and Eastern food I order. “Do not confuse me with the facts I have made up my mind.”
  
The PJ depends on reader support. Please help us by contributing financially to Philabooks@yahoo.com via Venmo, or by contributing editorial content via PhiladelphiaJunto@ymail.com.| Established 1976 Richard Carreño, Editor © MMXXI WritersClearinghouse All Rights Reserved.