Celebrating ....

CELEBRATING The PJ's 48th YEAR! * www.junto.blogspot.com * Dr Franklin's Diary * Contact @ PhiladelphiaJunto@ymail.com * Join us at Facebook and @philabooksarts *Meeting @ Philadelphia * Empowered by WritersClearinghouse.

Thursday 24 November 2016

PJ EXCLUSIVE: 'CRY-IN' AT MOMA FOLLOWING TRUMP VICTORY

BOO-HOO: DIRECTOR LOWRY 'DISMAYED 

The Museum of Modern Art | 11 West 53 Street | New York, NY 10019
(212) 333-1273

Glenn Lowry
From: Lowry, Glenn <glenn_lowry@moma.org>
Date: Wed, Nov 9, 2016 at 4:22 PM
Subject: Today

I know many of you, like me,  were dismayed by the results of the election last night. I will spend a long time trying to understand what happened and what it means for our future. But I take comfort in a note that I received from Marie-Josée Kravis, our president, first thing this morning who reminded me not to forget what we stand for, and to strive to be a beacon for the values we care about most. As I read her note, I thought about how fortunate we are to have trustees like her. I realized that our mission going forward suddenly had become clear: to be a model of an open, tolerant, and generous institution in everything we do.


If we commit ourselves to making all of our decisions based on the degree to which they promote and encourage diverse political, social, cultural, and artistic positions, then we can be that beacon that Marie-Josée suggested. And, if we look back in four or five years and know that we were an inclusive place of gathering, a place of important conversations, and a place where people of all backgrounds and opinions found a home, then we will know that out of the darkness of a profoundly difficult and troubling moment we found a way forward. I encourage all of you to think of the many ways we can embrace and promote, through all our communications and programs, those values that are essential to a healthy and vibrant society.
 
With best wishes, Glenn

Glenn D. Lowry