Celebrating ....

CELEBRATING The PJ's 48th YEAR! * www.junto.blogspot.com * Dr Franklin's Diary * Contact @ PhiladelphiaJunto@ymail.com * Join us at Facebook and @philabooksarts *Meeting @ Philadelphia * Empowered by WritersClearinghouse.

Sunday 9 December 2007

Le Cinéma Français


Isabelle Huppert, left
Yé Yé À Go Go
By Andrew Hamilton

Yo, Ricardo,
Don't want to overload you with e-mail, but I owe it to myself to notate Isabelle Huppert, who I see in the two movies last night.

The first one was a French humorous-violence-sex film with very
young Depardieu, Jeanne Moreau, sort of funny, where Huppert has a short bit as a 16-year old who needs her hymen popped. Turns out she's got a lot of freckles. Second one is called Coup de Torchon and is worth seeing, a fairly new flick. An American 1950's pulp cowboy story set in 1938 Senegal. Pretty interesting if you've spent much time in French West Africa, but also OK in itself.

Hupert plays the Frenchified nympho bad woman part.&n bsp; still has the freckles. Another one of those well-aging Frenchwoman, like the bar owner's wife in Shoot Piano Player. Holding together much better than Jeanne Moreau had by the '70's; maybe not a fair comparison.

Bottom line, Jim, I'd check out Isabelle Huppert movies, although from the director's interview I understand she plays mostly morose wives in need of a tune-up, and the Torchon role is not typical.


I suppose you know all this. Problem is, I have to order these movies from Netflix, and I long ago ran out of movies to order. The only thing I can think of are these things like Tom Hanks is stranded on an island and talks to a volley-ball, and it's all so forced or strained, and HBO television shows.

These two movies I saw last night were diverting, much more interesting than most of the first-run stuff and whatever classics I can locate. I think your basic air-head French limited-export movie is about all my brain can handle.& nbsp. Is there any shame in that? I'm going back to Beart, but I'll keep my eye open for Huppert.

In this Torchon movie, Eddy Mitchell has a substantial part as the cop's wife's lover. He's pretty good at it -- I'd say quite a bit more convincing than Johnny Halliday was in The Man on the Train. And I say this without any rancor for the way 'Johnny Treated Sylvie Vartan.' For one thing, Johnny has these weird lips that spoil his act right from the start. But that movie sucked in principle, anyway, so maybe it's another unfair comparison.


Andrew Hamilton is a writer, who lives in California.